Integrates Enterprise Geodatabase and PostGIS under Same PostgreSQL Database Part 1. Installation and Initial Configuration.

As promised from my previous post, I have started to make series of video demonstration about how to extend Enterprise Geodatabase functionalities with PostGIS features inside PostgreSQL Database Management System. The first video below will show you about the PostgreSQL, PostGIS and Enterprise Geodatabase installation and initial configuration under Windows OS. I dont test it on Linux yet but I think it would be pretty much same. If you readers already familiar about PostgreSQL, PostGIS and Enterprise Geodatabase installation, guess you can skip this post and wait for my next post. 

You can test the workflow from your local computer or remote online server, I have done both, so far there are no problem arised, but if you want to implement multi client editing (for example using ArcGIS and QGIS at same time) I suggest you to be careful because I found an ObjectID increment functions on both software are conflicting, but it is only happen if two or more clients perform commit data only on short interval, but if the data editing nature has time span interval of hours or minutes, I think it is still would be safe. Basically I would like to tell you that you must have comprehensive and be considerate when you plan to use this workflow on production environment. Consider I have told you the warning. 


If it is all success. You would have complete monster that can break the barriers of ESRI products and Open source Products. My experience is I could implement a database business process that desktop GIS software independent (can use ArcGIS as well as QGIS), I have versioning, I have Editor Tracking and all core Enterprise Geodatabase functionalities, and my users can view spatial data on their preferred clients (like PgAdmin or Dbeaver) because it uses PostGIS geometry, or even I could provide direct connection of spatial data to tableau without using API bridging. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TUTORIAL ORTHOREKTIFIKASI CITRA SATELIT RESOLUSI SEDANG (CITRA ASTER)

HAE (Height Above Ellipsoid) and MSL (Mean Sea Level) Conversion Using Pathfinder Office